Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crafts in Chelsea 5/8/10

Rain Rain Go Away.........Don’t Blow all my Stuff Away.....


That’s basically how the whole day went. After schlepping my Neatly Packed wheelie Bag of jewelry, display supplies and a chair. I also had an extra bag with the cool frame I made ( from a previous entry) since it does not fit into the Wheelie Bag. The Trek from Astoria to Chelsea by train is a gruesome one; I had to switch at 42nd street and IT IS A HUGE STATION with LOTS OF STAIRS. So I have to pick up the wheelie and carry it around. Needless to say I’m out of shape so it was hard.
I get to Chelsea amidst everyone setting up, find my little place with my rented table and start unpacking. Now, it’s at this time that I notice how crappy it is out and how Everyone Else has a tent but me. SO I think to myself, I can probably get a Tent at Gristedes or maybe Duane Reade? WRONG. FAIL. I ran around Looking for one, leaving my stuff in the care of the ladies across the way only to come back as it starts Pouring......POURING.

I bet you’re waiting for the part where I get stuck in the rain and all my stuff is ruined.... but AHA! The wonderful ladies across the way hauled my table and stuff under their tent!!! HOW NICE! I was floored. That was so nice. THEN to top it off they offered to Share their tents with me....FREE! I definitely offered to pay them but they refused. To keep this short, I wanted to pack up and go as all my stuff, including jewelry, purse, chair and ME were getting soaked. However, they convinced me to stay as the weather had to get better and I would definitely have fun with them. So I stayed. And though the weather got better (it stopped raining and it was sunny for a bit) and I had a great time with the girls and learned a lot as well as shopped at the other awesome vendors who were there, The wind was so incredible that we all had to leave early as all our stuff was blowing away and it was starting to get dangerous. I made a few sales ( mostly from one of the girls I shared the tent with) but nothing great. Our booth was awesome and people were definitely checking it out, but the foot traffic just wasn’t there I guess. All in all it was a really cute market, lots of different vendors, Lots of cool artistic and creative stuff. It’s too much of a haul for me and since I don’t plan on owning a tent anytime soon I may not do it again :( but we shall see. When they start allowing Shares I will be able to sell with my Jewelry Partner in Crime, Julie.
PROS:

• Well Organized

• Very Large Market, all down one street
  • Nice area
• Different mix of vendors - all different stuff
• bathroom in the school on the same street
• lots of Family, Definitely more family oriented market

CONS:

• You need a Tent and a Table, although Renting is Sometimes an option

• hike to get to by subway ( for Astorians at least)

• lots of vendors = Competition, you need to step up your game!

SHOUT OUTS!

The following are the ladies who adopted me and treated me so kindly. THEY ROCK and ell should check out their stuff. They have some beautiful and funky Stuff! I hope they forgive me for misspelling their names.
Keri: The Funkstress Mastermind of “ ZZsROCKnRECYCLABLES” a funky and monsteriffic collection of up cycled children’s wear that is hand painted with monsters and fuzzy things. She also makes recycled tutus that are great for kids and adults alike. Her Stuff is fun, unique and environmentally conscious. Not to mention FUN and RAD like she is! Keri was the Funky Fun one who also had a lot of positive energy and very nice things to say about the rain as I was cursing it under my breath. OH and her Business Cards are Friggin cute and Unique! She heat Pressed her Etsy Store Name as a business card onto Jeans and cut them out in squares. I hate to give away that secret but its Suuuuuch a good one! Check out Her Etsy Store: http://www.zzsrocknrecyclables.etsy.com/

Leslie: Proprietor of "Elle F Bijoux" a beautiful assortment of empty Pocket Watch Necklaces filled with assortments of Gems stones and sparkly stuff. They really are beautiful pieces and really creative, they aren’t something I have ever seen and will ever see. They’re truly unique and Original. Leslie was the Positive Energy and Positive thoughts of the group. She was all about it! Check out her Etsy Store: http://www.elefbijoux.etsy.com/




Mellissa: Doesn’t sell, but was a good friend of Keri's and she was an awesome help. She provided the car for the other girls and the manual labor as well as helped with Tent Hold Down as it was almost blowing away and helped grab everyone’s stuff that flew away. She was also really cool and funny. I have to say, I really felt the "superwoman" vibe from her.
I also have to give a shout out to some vendors that I thought were especially awesome:

Miniature Rhino - www.Miniaturerhino.com

*Jessica Marquez, the designer set up the cutest little wooden booth. The sign Read “letter writing service” and is homemade and so vintage looking with a working blue typewriter that you can write your letter on! You are then able to put it into a lilt glass bottle, cork it with a real cork, add a little charm of your choice to it and she can seal it with wax…….to be sent to the one you love….or it can be a really nice hate note. I am going to send one to my Love One Day….she even mails them for you! And did I mention her prices are great?






I bought a card that reads” Fuck it, Were going Dancing” and that requires no explanation. they have a lot of really nice Sassy Art prints.







Beautiful and fine quality gemstone jewelry. Her stuff is so dainty and classy I just love it!



And I love Supporting my Fellow Artists on Etsy…..<3

No comments:

Post a Comment